About 40 miles east of the district headquarters of Aligarh, lies the township of Bhikampur. For nearly four centuries, before the advent of British rule in India, this principality was ruled by the descendants of a Sherwani Pathan from Jalalabad in Afghanistan. One of them rose to become a Minister in the court of Sultan Sikandar Lodi. Another descendant, Shujat Khan, was the commander-in-chief of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.
Nawab Mohammad Muzzammil-Ullah Khan Sherwani (the father of Nawab Rahmatullah Khan Sherwani, owner of Bhikampur Lodge, Nainital), was born in the year 1865. In 1916, he was nominated to the U.P. Legislative Council and in 1926, was appointed as a member of the Viceroys Council of State.
During the reign of Nawab Muzzammil-Ullah Khan, Bhikampur fort, near Aligarh, witnessed a revival and restoration of its former glory. He, who had been bestowed with the titles of Bahadur and Sir by the British Government, also hosted many high ranking British officials and prominent members of the Indian royalty at Bhikampur.